Effective March 16, 2020, the City of Bangor General Assistance program located at 103 Texas Avenue in Bangor will be conducting phone interviews with scheduled clients rather than seeing them in the office. If you currently have a scheduled General Assistance appointment, please be prepared to answer your phone at that time. The caseworker will conduct a phone interview, and your vouchers will be sent to you in the mail. If you have a General Assistance emergency and do not have a scheduled appointment, please do not come to the office. Call 207-992-4530 and arrangements will be made to conduct a phone interview with you as soon as possible.
Every town in Maine has a General Assistance program that helps people in need who have no other resources. Assistance is provided for basic necessities, such as affordable housing, utilities, and food. Bangor General Assistance is available to Bangor residents only.General Assistance Rules Notice
How to Apply
- Please call our office to request a telephone appointment.
- All adults in the household must apply together.
- A caseworker will contact you by phone at your scheduled appointment time to complete an application for your household.
- Please have all requested documents submitted to us before your scheduled appointment.
Applicants Must Provide:
- Identification documents (photo identification preferred)
- Proof of any money available to the household during the last 30 days (this includes wages, TANF, child support, social security benefits, veteran’s benefits, etc.)
- Proof of current expenses
- Name of landlord
- Current eviction or disconnection notice
- Statement from doctor (if you are unable to work)
- Proof of all current assets and/or benefits received
Applicants are required to seek any and all resources that would reduce their need for General Assistance, such as:
- Benefits such as SSD, SSDI
- Veteran’s benefits
- DHHS benefits (SNAP, MaineCare, TANF, and FedCap)
- Heating assistance
- Child Support
- Money from others or bills paid by others on your behalf
- Lump sum payments, such as Workers’ Compensation or SSI
- Financial aid for school
- Land claim settlements
It is a basic requirement of the program that everyone works or looks for work.
Walk-Ins for Emergencies
Walk-ins are not available at this time. Please call for a phone appointment.
General Assistance also offers walk-in hours for people to apply under the following emergency guidelines:
- Current written eviction notice
- Secured affordable new housing in Bangor
- Utility disconnection notice
- Heating fuel
Walk-in hours are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:00-11:00AM and 1:00-3:00PM. Thursdays: 8:00-11:00AM only.
(We cannot guarantee that you will be seen the same day)
103 Texas Ave, Bangor, ME 04401
- Union Street
- Take Union Street to Vermont Avenue
- Turn onto Vermont Avenue
- Drive 500 ft. to traffic circle
- Take 3rd exit onto Texas Avenue
- Turn right just before “Bangor Health and Community Services” sign
- Follow signs and enter lobby
- Hammond Street
- Follow Maine Avenue to traffic circle
- Take 1st exit onto Texas Avenue
- Follow until 103 Texas Avenue
- Follow signs and enter lobby